If you’re a homeowner, you know everything adds up! That includes the insurance to protect yourself if something happens.
News 8 anchor Laura Hutchinson is stretching your dollar with five home improvements you can make to lower the cost of your insurance.
I know home improvements cost money, but if you’re looking to make some upgrades, consumer reports says to consider these in order to save money in the long run!
1. Install a security system. It’s not only a way to protect your family, but it can also save you money. You can usually save 2-3 percent off the premium.
2. Improve a home system: This could be the electrical, heating, or plumbing to save an average of 6 percent.
3. If you can replace your roof, consumer reports says State Farm offers a discount of up to 35 percent.
4. You can add sensors or detectors that detect gas leaks or extreme temperature change.
5. Get a generator. You’ll not only thank yourself this winter, but Amica is said to give a 4-10 percent discount on the property portion of your homeowners policy.
If you’ve recently done one of these, call your insurance and make sure you’re getting a discount if there’s one available to you.
Free download: Access Connecticut breaking news, weather, stream newscasts live and more on-the-go with News 8 alerts directly to your phone.