STORRS, Conn. (WTNH) — UConn has announced the women’s basketball program has temporarily suspended team activities after a member of the program tested positive for COVID-19.
Abiding by university protocol, team activities will remain on hold for at least 14 days and will resume when it is deemed safe by medical professionals.
Coach Geno Auriemma told News 8 it was not a player or coach that tested positive, but it is a Tier One member of the program’s bubble and that individual is asymptomatic.
Through contact tracing it was determined the coaching staff does not have to quarantine.
The Huskies will not compete on their first four previously announced game dates.
The ladies were scheduled to open their season this Saturday against Quinnipiac at Mohegan Sun Arena as part of Bubbleville.
Their second scheduled game at Mohegan against the winner of Mississippi State and Maine has also been canceled.
The pause will also cost them a game against Louisville and its Big East opener on Dec. 6 against Seton Hall.
Obviously, the players are disappointed, but Coach Auriemma says they handled the news well: “I felt really guilty that it was happening to them. I felt bad like I had a hand in this. And they came back at me with, ‘Coach, these things are out of our control and we’ll come back from this and we’ll deal with it. And we’re going to be even better than we were before going into it.”
The Huskies projected opener is now Dec. 15 when they are scheduled to host Big East opponent Butler at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs. Meanwhile the UConn men are scheduled to open the season Wednesday.