NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Based on the latest track of Jose, we're monitoring the potential for tidal flooding, strong winds, and power outages across Connecticut. The issues won't be isolated to just the shoreline, so how can you get ready? Here's what you need to do.
Before even heading out the door, there are some things you should check in your own home first. Number one is the grill. If you lose power you might need it to cook so make sure you have propane. Number two is to head to the basement to check the sump pump.Related Content: Storm Team 8 Hurricane Tracker
"A lot of times there's a little basin and the pump is almost in the ground so where the water comes in, it's right there," explained David Katz of Goody's Hardware. "So, people can get a bucket of water, pour it into the hole and if the pump comes on and brings the water back out, it works."
If not, it's time to replace the pump, especially before rain arrives. Also, have an emergency preparedness kit ready with batteries, food supplies, and medications.Related Content: People in Narragansett preparing for Jose's impact
Now, when you head out to the hardware store to grab supplies, if your driveway is pitched towards your house, it might be a good idea to pick up a handful of bags to fill with sand. If you don't have sand or dirt at your disposal, already packed bags are available at most hardware stores. A few layers of these will help guide the water away from your property, and only cost a few dollars.
The other component of Jose is the potential for damaging wind gusts. Because the leaves are still fully on the trees, it won't take as much to cause limbs to fall as it would during the winter-time. Because of this, make sure your generator is ready, just in case you do lose power!Related Content: Boaters prepare for Jose's arrival
Just start it up, make sure it runs, run it for five to 10 minutes, and make sure the gas is cycling through. And just make sure you have power going to it, you want to put a cord in and test it with some of the appliances you have just to make sure its ready.
It's also extremely important to remember not to keep your generator in your garage, basement, or anywhere near your house! It can cause a fire or even worse, CO poisoning to you and your family
- Trump names EU a global foe, raps media before Putin summit
- 33 passengers hospitalized after Ryanair flight plummets almost 30,000 feet
- Police cruiser struck in Seymour while responding to crashes
- 3 police officers shot in Kansas City, rifle-wielding suspect killed: Officials
- Why Prime Day is important to Amazon
- 3-vehicle crash with life-threatening injury closes exit on Interstate 95 Southbound in Waterford
- Local store looks to fill backpacks before kids head back to school
- How to escape a rip current
- Scattered showers and thunderstorms to wrap up Friday afternoon
- Oppressive heat wave continues
- EPA: Poor air quality expected for Connecticut on Tuesday
- Staying safe in the summer heat
- Connecticut Children's Medical Center reminds parents to watch for kids in hot cars
- Connecticut residents keep cool in blazing heat
Residents say anyone who grew up in Waterbury has swam in the water at...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A Seymour police cruiser was struck by another vehicle while responding to...Read More »
One person has suffered a life-threatening injury after a three-vehicle crash...Read More »
It might be the middle of the summer, but one local store is thinking about...Read More »
A Milford home suffered heavy damage after a gas grill caught fire late...Read More »
It might be the middle of the summer, but one local store is thinking about kids going back to school.Read More »
Connecticut Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro wants more information about the status of a program that allows low-income people to buy fresh fruits and vegetables at thousands of farmers markets across the country.Read More »
A Milford home suffered heavy damage after a gas grill caught fire late Sunday morning.Read More »