Fire officials: Make sure your chimneys, heaters are safe before using them this winter

Top News

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Officials are reminding residents to be cautious when turning on their heaters for the first time during the winter.

Homeowners are encouraged to check — or have a professional check — their chimney for cracks, which could create a fire hazard.

“A hairline crack can expand up to a quarter of an inch and can let a hot ember right into the inner wall of the chimney, which then has the potential to start a fire in the house,” said Dan Lennon, of Chimney Champ.

Experts said the cracks can also let in carbon monoxide (CO) gases.

“CO is odorless, and you won’t know that it’s building up and lots of times, unfortunately in the past before we had detectors, we were actually finding people deceased in their homes,” said John Alston, New Haven Fire Chief.

Related: Stretch Your Dollar: Tips for saving on your heating bill

Experts also said to clear off any heaters, including dust, before turning them on.

Homeowners and renters are reminded to test their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replaced the batteries yearly.

Watch the video above for more information.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Milford Police officer named Nationwide D.A.R.E. Officer of the Year

News /

2020 NHdocs to go on amid pandemic

News /

Will it stay or go? Future of Waterbury Columbus statue to be on November ballot

News /

Yale researchers out with results of study on what went wrong inside CT nursing homes amid peak of COVID-19 pandemic

News /

Luxury apartments could be built on CT Post Mall property

News /

Feds accuse Yale of discriminating against some applicants

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss