HAGERSTOWN, Md. (WTNH) — After a six-day manhunt, police in Hagerstown, Maryland, have apprehended Peter Manfredonia, the suspect of two killings in Connecticut.

Police said he was spotted coming out of a wooded area in Hagerstown near a truck stop off Interstate 81 around 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Deputy U.S. Marshals from the Capital Area Region Fugitive Task Force, along with Maryland State Police and FBI and other agencies moved in and canvassed the area after a tip. Manfredonia was found coming out of a wooded area behind the building when he was spotted.

Watch: The location in Maryland where Manfredonia was caught, courtesy of WDVM

“The detectives were explaining and talking about the characteristics of Mr. Manfredonia,” Connecticut State Police Lieutenant Michael Pendleton said during a news conference. “As they were talking about his height, 6’3″, 6’4″, one of the team members turned and approximately 20 feet away from him was a gentleman who was 6’4″.”

A detective then recognized Manfredonia’s red sneakers — which were seen in surveillance photos — and quickly matched his profile view to the wanted man. They then approached him with their guns drawn and told him to “get on the ground.”

Manfredonia was arrested without force and without incident.

Pendleton said they found the black duffel bag he was carrying stashed nearby; inside of it was a gun.

Watch: Follow the steps of Peter Manfredonia, from the first alleged killing through his capture

On Thursday, Maryland State Police released his mug shot before he appeared in the Washington County, Maryland District Court for a bond review.

Peter Manfredonia

The last time Manfredonia was spotted was in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, which is about 200 miles away from where he was taken into police custody. From there, he’ll be processed in Maryland as a fugitive, before being extradited back to Connecticut.

“We’re overwhelmed; we’re so grateful for all the partnerships and the joint partnerships that we’ve had with all the law enforcement agencies that we’ve been working with,” a spokesperson with Connecticut State Police said. “If it weren’t for everyone working together, who’s to say what would have happened.”

WATCH: Connecticut State Police give update on arrest of Manfredonia

Troopers said charges are forthcoming; however, they said he could face state and federal charges.

Manfredonia is accused of killing two men in Connecticut and then evading troopers and police for six days.

RELATED: UConn senior now a suspect in a multi-state FBI manhunt has deep roots in Connecticut

Around 9 a.m. Friday, May 22, Manfredonia allegedly attacked two men with an edged weapon on Mirtl Road in Willington. One of his alleged victims, 62-year-old Theodore DeMers, died from his injuries.

Ted DeMers of Willington died of his injuries resulting from an attack by Peter Manfredonia 05 23 20

Family told News 8 the retired U.S. Marine was helping Manfredonia, who had said his motorcycle had broken down and run out of gas. DeMers’ family said that is when Manfredonia attacked him with a machete, cutting off his arm and leaving him bleeding in the street.

On Sunday, May 24, officials said he also held a homeowner on Turnpike Road in Willington against his will and stole supplies including food, firearms and the victim’s truck.

RELATED: Father of UConn student wanted in 2 homicides arrested on sexual assault charges in April

That same day, Manfredonia reportedly killed his second victim, 23-year-old Nicholas J. Eisele, whose body was found in a home on Roosevelt Drive in Derby. Connecticut State Police said that’s when he stole a black 2016 Volkswagen Jetta and abducted a female from the residence.

Both the vehicle and woman were found around 1:30 p.m. in Paterson, New Jersey. She identified Manfredonia as her kidnapper.

Sometime Sunday afternoon, troopers with Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) discovered that he had been dropped off by an Uber in front of a Walmart in East Stroudsburg. After viewing security footage, they were able to determine that he was last seen walking behind the Walmart with a duffel bag believed to contain firearms.

On Wednesday afternoon, PSP received a tip that Manfredonia might be in Hagerstown, Maryland.

The tip said that witness descriptions in a Chambersburg, Pennsylvania convenience store matched Manfredonia, and the car stolen from Manfredonia’s last known location was found near the store. Troopers were able to determine that the person in the surveillance footage took an Uber from there to Hagerstown.

It is unknown at this time where Manfredonia was from Wednesday morning until the time he was taken into custody that evening. Connecticut State Police said neither law enforcement personnel nor the suspect were harmed. They said more information would be released Thursday.

“Our condolences for them [the victims’ families],” a CSP spokesperson told News 8. “This is such a tragedy. No family should have to go through this and we are thankful that hopefully we can provide some closure for them.”

Mike Dolan, the attorney for the family of Manfredonia, released the following statement after his arrest:

His family is relieved that Peter has brought this to a peaceful conclusion.

On Monday, Dolan said Manfredonia has struggled with mental health issues for years.

“You won’t be surprised to hear that Peter has struggled with mental health issues over the past several years,” he said. “He sought the help of a number of therapists, and he’s had the support of his parents and loved ones to help him through those struggles.”

WATCH: A UNH professor, former FBI agent explains how unusual a homicide suspect Manfredonia is based on his seemingly nonviolent past

However, family and friends troopers spoke with said this behavior was unlike Manfredonia.

“This is not who you are,” his loved ones said via Troopers at a Tuesday news conference. “We want you to be able to tell your story. We are here to listen to you…We [all] want a peaceful end to this…We are waiting to hear from you; we want to hear from you. Please call us.”