The crash took place at approximately 6:30 a.m. Friday morning, when a tractor-trailer truck left the roadway and went down an embankment.
Connecticut State Police said the truck driver, 57-year-old Jean Fabre-benoit, of Prospect, did not survive the crash.
Milford fire officials confirm that Fabre-benoit was killed in the crash after he was pinned in the vehicle and had to be extricated. Fire crews say that the extrication was complicated by having to remove trees and brush, and because of spilled diesel fuel and a nearby stream.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was also on scene due to hazardous fluids that leaked out of the truck.
One person is dead. That tractor trailer went down the embankment on 95 south between the Milford rest area and exit 40. One lane is getting by. pic.twitter.com/DIaWIWMGhq— Kent Pierce (@kentpierce8) January 11, 2019
The accident caused heavy delays on both sides of the highway for most of the day on Friday. All lanes were back open around 4:00 p.m.
The cause of the crash is unknown and remains under investigation. If you witnessed this crash, or have any information that could help State Police in their investigation, you're asked to call State Police Troop G in Bridgeport at 203-696-2500.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Boo the Pomeranian 'Died of a Broken Heart'
- Starbucks rolls out delivery service for coffee drinkers
- Destination Location: News 8 visits Old Lyme
- Water main break closes Route 154 in Old Saybrook
- Fire breaks out overnight in Southington home
- 2019 Oscars: Complete list of nominees
- The latest debate dividing the internet: How you draw an 'X'
When the weather turns interesting, people take pictures.Read More »
- Bitter cold sets in as winter storm wreaks havoc on travel
- Photos: First storm of 2019 knocks down trees, wires across Connecticut
- Governor Lamont urges residents to stay home as wintry weather rolls through Connecticut
- More than 30,000 outages reported across Connecticut during storm
- Winter weather impacting Sunday flights at Bradley International Airport
- Prevent your pipes from freezing
- Wintry mix causing slippery roadway conditions Sunday morning
Members of the U.S. Coast Guard are working hard to make ends meet during the...Read More »
Shore Line East commuters will be back on the track Tuesday.Read More »
A Waterbury fire sent two people to the hospital after flames tore through a three story home on Willow Street.Read More »