Our living local deal this week is classic Italian food coupled with modern American specials.
Owner and Chef of Rossitto’s Ristorante Luciano Rossitto is cooking a popular special Gorgonzola-Buffalo Chicken Penne Florentine.
6 oz (2 cups) penne pasta (cooked)
1 oz (⅓ of a cup) shallots (sliced)
3 oz. (1 cup) ground chicken sausage
2 oz (1 pepper or ⅔ cup) fresh red pepper (sliced into strips)
1 oz. (⅓ of a cup) olive oil
2 oz (⅔ cup) buffalo wing sauce (Franks Red Hot or a similar wing sauce)
3 oz (1 cup) gorgonzola cheese (crumbles)
3 oz (1 cup) heavy cream
1 oz (⅓ of a cup) parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
2 oz (⅔ of a cup packed) Fresh spinach
1. Heat olive oil in a medium size pan.
2. Add chicken sausage and sauté and remove from the pan.
3. Add sliced shallots and fresh red peppers to the pan and lightly brown in the same oil used to sauté the chicken sausage.
4. Then add fresh spinach and sauté.
5. Once the spinach is cooked, mix in the buffalo wing sauce, heavy cream, and cheeses. Gradually stir in gorgonzola and parmesan cheese until thick. (Don’t forget to save a small amount of cheese to top the finished pasta dish.)
6. Once the mixture thickens, add the cooked penne pasta.
7. Plate and top with a bit of gorgonzola cheese before serving.