(WTNH) – Nutrition Specialist Heidi Harkopf shares some of her great tips for making one of the trendiest foods – Smoothies!
Tips to a great smoothie:
- For the most bang for your buck on nutrition, make it with milk/yogurt. A half cup of Greek yogurt can supply up to 8 g of protein. When you use milk or yogurt as the base, the protein will help hold you over to the next meal.
- If you want to make it the night before make it with yogurt. The yogurt will keep it a nice thick consistency.
- For a super thick, icy smoothie start with frozen fruit.
- Now that warm weather is here fruit, especially bananas, ripens really fast. If you can’t keep up with it, freeze peeled banana chunks in baggies and just take small pieces out for natural sweetening power to your smoothie.
- Can add nut butters for added nutrients such as protein.
- Avocado provide thickness, (and healthy fat) and doesn’t really change the flavor. Avocado is like a blank canvas upon which you can build other flavors.
New England Dairy & Food Council is staffed with registered dietitians and is funded by the dairy farmers of New England and upstate New York, including the dairy farm families of Connecticut.
For smoothie recipes visit: MustBeTheMilk.com
For schools interested in smoothies: NewEnglandDairyCouncil.org